Rallying


I am not a politically active person. I don't rally. I don't phone bank. I don't canvas. The closest I've ever come was for this past election, and the best I could muster was a $25 donation, a bumper sticker, and an Obama shirt. Oh, and voting—I make sure to always do that. None of which is to say that I'm not political. I have opinions, and I try to keep up-to-date on the issues of the day. I guess I would describe myself as "passively passionate."

All that being said, I went to a rally yesterday for a cause about which I feel quite strong. I joined over a million people rallying in 300 cities across the world in protest of the passing of Proposition 8 in California (and similar legislation in Arizona, Florida, and Arkansas), which amended the state constitution to ban gay marriage. If ever there was a reason to stand and cheer until my back was sore and my throat was raw, this is it, people. It is not a political issue; it is a civil rights issue. In this year of all years, when it seems that we have made such enormous strides forward, electing the first African-American president, and watching a woman make the first realistic bid for the presidency, I am shocked that we have taken such an enormous step backward (and in California, of all places) on this issue.

The rally was incredible. There was a sense of solidarity that I have rarely felt before (probably because I never go to rallies). So many people had made signs, and it was obviously an issue close to everyone's heart, including the cause's "straight allies" like me. There were lots of speakers, of varying degrees of public speaking skill, but all spoke with total conviction. My favorite was a mother from PFLAG, who stood on the podium with her entire family including her gay son's partner, and spoke about the journey she took from learning her son was gay to deciding to fight for the GLBT community. I teared up listening to her speak and watching her son, who was so obviously proud of her. But the most emotional moment for me was when the main speaker invited to the stage all same-sex couples who had been married in California during the brief time that it was legal there. About a dozen couples came to the stage, representing a large range of ages and ethnicities, all of whom who are uncertain about the status of their marriages (it is still unclear whether the ban will be retroactive or not).

I happened to notice a family of four standing near me: a gay couple and what were clearly the parents of one of the men, showing their support for their son and the community. I was struck by how much they were a family, and how fundamentally wrong it is to deny these families the recognition they deserve. Surreptitious portraits of strangers are certainly not my forté, but I couldn't help myself.


I'm not sure what's next, what step to take, but I'm ready. I will rally. I will phone bank. I will canvas. I'm ready.

What do we want?
EQUAL RIGHTS!
When do we want it?
NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Now you have something to rally for, for sure! I feel certain that prop 8 will go to the supreme court and be overturned.
    Justice is in the air. And as a Caifornia resident, that's what I'm rooting for.
    I'm thrilled and heartened to see the thousands of good people across our country having their voices heard.
    Grandma's sooooo pleased with your vociferous involvement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...