Pizza Sunday

I go through phases in which I crave constancy. I dream of predictable schedules featuring free evenings and weekends, of taking time off when I don't feel well or want to go to a friend's wedding, of hobbies and dinner parties and vacations.

I am going through one of those phases right now.

In my line of work, it's difficult to create any lasting routines or traditions. In a "normal" week, I work 6 days with one variable day off. Some days I end at 5pm; others I get home after midnight. I cannot take a weekly class, sing in a church choir, or go out on date night (Saturday, obvs). I read enviously about KT's French classes, but alas, for me it is not meant to be.

But there is one rock I can hold onto, one tradition that will not be destroyed, no matter how unsteady my schedule.

Pizza Sunday.

We were inspired by BritBossMan and his family, who celebrate Pizza Friday every week (including the Friday night we stayed with them during Hurricane Ike). For our own purposes, we changed the day, but we kept the spirit of the holiday.

There are no rules to Pizza Sunday—any tradition that's going to last with our lifestyle has to be flexible. Since we began the tradition, we have had pizza from 4 different restaurants on 5 different Sundays. We have picked up take-out and eaten it alone. We have invited people over and watched Mystic Pizza together while eating. One week we had to walk to get the pizza between afternoon and evening rehearsals. The only requirement is that we eat pizza. On Sunday.

It's not the stuff of dreams. But it'll do for now.

2 comments:

  1. Poor thing! I remember a time (when was that - a couple weeks ago?) when you were craving a crazy work schedule. I envy you the pizza sunday, though; we have to put up with home cooked mashed potatoes, kale, and sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now you're just being mean. Feel free to cook me up some of that when I see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...