Behind the scenes


Beatrice & Benedict is officially over. I am officially on vacation, and I have officially moved out of my apartment (although I'm still here hanging out, taking advantage of the wi-fi).

The performance period of any show is always kind of a mixed bag for me. It's not the part I live for, or as an interviewer recently asked me, the part that "moves my soul." For me, my soul is most definitely moved by the rehearsal process. Once the performances start, my participation is greatly diminished, and I always feel somewhat superfluous. When things go wrong, of course, it's important for me to be there, but when things are going right it's easy to get bored. Those are really the only times that I miss being a singer, or even an assistant stage manager, since they get to be so active during the shows themselves.

Since I wasn't going to be taking any notes on the last performance (how obnoxious would that be?) and the set has good sightlines onto the stage from the wings (in case something needed my attention), I spent Act II hanging out backstage last night. If ever there was a cure for AD complacency, that was it. I could feel all that excitement and adrenaline radiating from the stage, and even though I wasn't doing anything useful, I felt much more a part of the show than I had for the past week.

All in all, I don't think this will ever be my favorite piece, but in the end it charmed me much more than I expected it to, in large part due to the lovely group of people involved in this production. People have been describing the show alternately as "soufflé" and "whipped cream." Whatever you call it, it's frothy for sure. But you can't eat steak for every meal, can you? There's a lot to be said for a little froth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...