The Bossy bookshelf

I recently became a Barnes & Noble member, after deciding that it really wasn't appropriate to use my ex's number anymore, especially now that we don't even share a last name. The membership is a good deal: for only $20 a year, you get an extra 10% off everything (including Starbucks in the store) plus lots of coupons and special discounts. In other words, if you spend more than $200 in a year, it's totally worth it.

Buying books may seem like a strange pastime for someone whose entire life fits into a 5' x 5' storage unit. "Get a library card," you say. "Borrow books from friends," you tell me. I know, I know, but buying books is my very favorite kind of retail therapy (books always fit, if you know what I mean). I adore wandering through bookstores, even the corporate kind, and browsing through an online bookstore is pure heaven.

Since I'll be having quite a bit of free time in the next few weeks, I made a big B&N purchase to keep me busy. It was supposed to arrive today, but according to UPS it was "missorted at the hub," so now it won't arrive until Monday.

Here's what's coming:

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta. I've been excited about this one since it came out last fall in hardcover. It's going to be made into a movie by the people behind Little Miss Sunshine, too.

World Without End by Ken Follett. I am not ashamed to say that I love Follett. It's not high literature, I know, but I find his books engrossing to read, especially the ones whose plots are not spy-related. This one is a sequel to my fave Follett novel, Pillars of the Earth, which is a completely fascinating story about a cathedral being built.

The Best American Travel Writing 2008. I've started buying these every year. Travel writing is a genre I would love to write, but for now I will live vicariously through these amazing compilations.

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. I know absolutely nothing about this book or this author, but it's top on my list of 100 novels to read (To-do list item #76). I've only read 4 so far, so I have to get cracking.

Passage to India by E.M. Forster. Also on the list. I don't how it's possible that I've never read this, but I haven't (or seen the movie). Forster is such a compelling storyteller that I'm excited for this one.

Scoop and A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh. Of the books I've read for the list so far, Brideshead Revisited is my favorite, so I'm looking forward to these two (which are the only other Waugh novels on the list). If I enjoy them as much, I might need to read all his others, too.

I'm so ready for quiet evenings in with a book, a snuggly cat, and a glass of wine. Pretty glamorous, no?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you should look into "Kindle". It is quite neat, especially if you travel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Scoop (a TV series) and A handful of dust (film) are on DVD too. I prefer A handful of dust. MR. WILBY! (Sigh) and of couse, the crown jewel is Brideshead, the original tv series. But maybe a young lady like you would prefer the movie version better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand the buying the book versus library/borrowing thing. My co-worker was telling me that she had books in a series were reading, but I didn't want to borrow them. I wanted to own them. Probably not the wisest thing in down times, but there is nothing like buying a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious about the Absitinence Teacher - but I have read Winesburg, OH back in high school and I don't seem to have any negative recollections about it so I must've liked it.

    Enjoy all of your reading! I'm jealous of your free time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude! so weird-I JUST finished reading "Pillars of Earth"...good to know there's a sequel!

    miss you tons:)

    WiseSop

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...