Thinking out loud

I met him at a party 6 weeks before I graduated with my Master's. I had no job lined up after graduation and no job prospects. He had come to the party to be set up with another girl, and my ex, who had moved out of my apartment only 3 weeks before, was on the couch in the next room.
I thought, everything happens for a reason.

We shared war stories of past relationships and past heartbreaks.
I thought, this one's different.

I found out I had gotten the job in Houston. We had long talks about whether to stay together, whether a long-distance relationship could actually work.
I thought, if we can get through this, we can get through anything.

We had awkward conversations, long silences, and frequent misunderstandings on the phone.
I thought, everything will be different when we're together in the same place.

He carried the ring around in the pocket of his jeans for an entire weekend, waiting for the right moment to propose. The right moment never came, so it was 6 AM in the parking garage at the airport when he asked me to marry him.
I thought, this will be a great story to tell our kids.

We looked at wedding venues for a month before deciding to elope instead, on the weekend we had free between the end of Wolf Trap and our move down to Houston together.
I thought, the sooner, the better.

He was unhappy. I was unhappy. We didn't know how to make each other happy.
I thought, give it time, it will get better.

We tried everything we could think of. We went on dates, went to couples therapy, spent more time together, spent less time together.
I thought, I can make anything work if I try hard enough.

He said he had lost something and he didn't think he could get it back. I said I was tired of working so hard and getting nowhere. We both cried.
I thought, this can't possibly be the end.

I thought wrong.

10 comments:

  1. oh, thinking of you.

    i'm not sure what to say, but i am wishing for you all that you need and want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why your blog is so amazing. Because you are so brave, so honest and so brilliant at expressing yourself.

    *hugs* (because this post needs it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad and beautiful!

    I cannot stop thinking about it in terms of lyrics, but is it Broadway, Country Western? R & B?

    Love,
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey. I know we barely know each other but I am sending a big ol' virtual hug your way.
    God it is just so hard sometimes. and yet then you open up your heart and share the pain and it is really really beautiful... pain so individual and yet so familiar. May you find healing, my new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfectly said. i admire you so much. look forward to more bonding with you.

    WI SOP

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best things about you is how you lead with your heart. So, no matter what you learn, please don't give that completely away - even if it is risky.

    Fondly - dkz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire you so much for writing this out and, additionally, sharing it with us.

    I'm sorry that this happened but here's to hoping that this post shows a turnaround for you.

    And only you could word it so beautifully.

    Hang in there, I know you'll make the best of this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep reading your latest blog and trying to think of what I want to say. I could start with "the healing is in the sharing" - sounds so clinical. How about "thank you for being so brave in telling the poignant story of two incredible human beings" that comes close. What I really want to say is "I love you and wish you both the wisdom and understanding that comes from such an adventure" Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing. Thank you for sharing this. I wish I could be in Houston right now to share a moment with my soul mate.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful entry...thanks for sharing and being so open and for your wonderful honesty. Wow...

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...