There are Giants in the sky

I have something to say, and it may shock you. Are you sitting down?

Ok, good. Here goes...

Tonight…I watched the Super Bowl.

Yes, that's right. Me. And the Super Bowl. We're like this.

I saw it all, well, almost. I saw it all starting in the 2nd quarter. I saw Tom Brady get sacked a lot. I learned what "First down" means, and that the yellow line doesn't actually exist on the field. I saw the super-lame halftime show (Tom Petty? Really? Is this the Super Bowl in 1989?). I saw the wild card team pull through when nobody thought they would. I saw the stage manager for the Patriots (he was wearing a headset, so I assume he was the stage manager, right?) get frantic and walk off the field when there was still technically 1 second left on the timer. I saw numerous fans rushing the field before the game was officially over (we often have that problem at HGO, too. Our stage manager sometimes has to chase people away from backstage.) I saw the General Director of the Giants (he didn't have a British accent like ours, and he wasn't quite as articulate as ours, but who else could he but the GD?) giving a speech and celebrating.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty much a football expert now.

Although I have to admit, my favorite part of the game had nothing to do with football at all. No, my favorite part had a lot more to do with gypsies who think love is like a rebellious bird. Oh, and mousetraps.



And you thought sports and opera didn't mix.

5 comments:

  1. Big tall terrible, awesome, scary, wonderful giants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this your first Superbowl where you actually watched the game?

    Hope you had a good teacher! I had two last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tom Petty!
    He is so great.
    And 1989, what a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget the oboe!! It's a member of the woodwind family... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad: Your command of Sondheim lyrics is impressive.

    Ann: Actually my 2nd game, but at the 1st I couldn't stop rewinding the TiVo over and over to watch the "wardrobe malfuncton." :)

    CaliBoy: Were you alive in 1989?

    ACB: Yeah, that was definitely my 2nd fave commercial. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...