It's not easy being green

I have come to the right place to change my unhealthy ways. I am in a strange and wondrous land where waitresses give you unsolicited helpful tips about carbs while you're deciding what to order, a place where even women in their 80's have gym memberships (hi, Grandma Bossy), an exotic locale where organic vegetables can be (and are) eaten just hours after they are picked.

They call it Southern California, and if I stayed much longer I just might transform into a carb-avoiding, skinny jeans with Uggs-wearing, salad-loving, honest-to-goodness California girl.

To speed the process along, I'm joining Aunt and Uncle Bossy every morning for their favorite breakfast: green drink. It's the latest health craze to sweep through my Cali family, and everybody swears it invigorates them and gives them more energy for the day. How could I turn it down?

Green drink is, at its most basic, a whole bunch of green vegetables pureed in a blender (not just any blender) and poured into a drinking glass. The vegetables vary slightly each day, so the drink tastes quite different depending on the batch. Here's a sampling of some of the veggies that make up the concoction: collard greens, kale, carrot tops, salad greens, broccoli, cilantro, and cabbage. Also a few others so nutritious that I've never heard of them. In order to make the drink even remotely palatable first thing in the morning (or ever), some citrus fruits and/or bananas are generally added to the mix. Ginger and garlic are optional.



It's not the worst thing I've ever tasted. Nor is it the best. It is, however, definitely the greenest.

I haven't seen a beer or a mozzarella stick since I got here. I don't know if I have any more energy after 3 days on the green drink, but I suppose it can't hurt to pump myself full of vegetables and nutrients while I'm here. Lord knows I won't be getting much of either in H-town.



Plus, I need all the help I can get if I'm going to look good in those skinny jeans.

3 comments:

  1. Braver than me! I prefer my greens in salad form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green drinks are in! I've never consumed so many greens and fruit in my 83 years. Problem is - getting to the the organic food store (or farmers' mkt) to stock up every few days. I put together two quarts of the green stuff every other day. Keeps my fridge and my vita-mix very busy. So, welcome to California - land of seashore, mountains and green drinks! Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...