Burying the hatchet

I made amends with an old friend today.

I've known her for as long as I can remember, but our relationship has always been complex, and we've been on the outs for quite a while now.

We used to have so much fun together, but like many childhood friends, we gradually grew apart. I always felt that I grew up faster than she did, and she complained that I had unrealistic expectations of her and of our friendship. I depended on her in some ways, but she always needed more attention and nurturing from me than I wanted to give. She was exciting, and adventurous, and she could be fun when she was in the right mood, but I couldn't rely on her. She was a flaky friend, and I have very little patience for flaky friends.

Our personalities became too intertwined, so much so that when someone would criticize her, I felt personally attacked. Our time together, which had once made me so happy, came to feel like a burden, and I started seeing her less and less. I couldn't figure out how to extricate myself from the relationship gracefully, so I made a clean break, about 2 1/2 years ago. It was easier than I expected.

And I've been fine. I moved on. I thought I would miss her a lot, but I really haven't. I've made other friends, dependable friends who support and encourage me, who never make me cry or feel bad about myself. I'm happy.

I don't know what brought it on, but about a week ago, I started thinking I might want to check on her, just to see how she's doing. It took until today for me to work up the courage to give it a try.

It was pretty great to see her. I went in with no expectations, planning only to make small talk, but after a few minutes' hesitation, it was as if we'd never been apart. I didn't feel frustrated or upset. I felt comfortable, and nostalgic, and energized, and happy.

I don't know how often we'll see each other. It's been a long time, after all, and I'm not sure how much energy I want to put into rebuilding.

But for that one hour this afternoon in a practice room, it felt like my voice and I might just be able to be friends again.

7 comments:

  1. Happy day!

    Happy news; specially while sitting in a rehearsal with the fan club of your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post... Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my voice once.

    Mucinex helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Mucinex ... ask your doctor about it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always seems like practicing is SO much more gratifying after taking a nice long break. I'm definitely going through a phase right now where I'm considering making a 'clean break' as you put it. It seems like the world might end, but I know it won't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! You might inspire me to sit down and play the piano again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms. Bossy,

    I've been reading your blog since you're time in Germany. I found your blog while looking for other travel blogs to get tips and stuff when I was in Vienna. I was there the week after you and got NO snow. Anyway, I just read this post and I thought it terrific. Keep up the great writings and I hope you don't mind my enjoying your life from afar.

    Caleb, an American living in Oxford

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...