Help! I need somebody

I'd love to write a post about my relaxing Sunday watching movies on the couch with the Best Friend, and the bizarro Chicagoland weather, and the amazing gut-wrenching work of beauty that is Pan's Labyrinth, but my heart's just not in it. The truth is, at the moment it's hard for me to focus on anything for very long except my lack of summer job. As each day goes by without an offer, my panic mounts. You might even call it an obsession.

My search began in October. The countless résumés I sent out led to more rejection emails than I care to remember, but even more companies that just never responded at all. I've followed up, I've searched and searched again, and I've recently started telling everyone I talk to that I'm desperately looking for summer work. Pride is no longer an issue; I just want a job.

So, dear readers, I'm turning to you. I have 4 months free, from the middle of May to the middle of September. What should I do? As time passes, I'm becoming less picky. Here are my requirements:
  • I need a place to live. Ideally not my parents' house (sorry, Bossy Folks).
  • I need to make a little bit of money. Not a fortune, but at least enough to cover my living costs for the summer.
  • I need to feel like I have a purpose, and it would be nice not to be incredibly bored.
  • I need to do something to further my career. Looks like it probably won't be directing or assistant directing opera, but it needs to not be a completely wasted 4 months.
I would have no problem coming up with options if I was independently wealthy, but alas, I am not, and I'm running out of ideas.

Can you help a girl out?

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of with you there, seriously. At least on items 2 through 4. If I come up with something brilliant, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NJ Opera Theater might still be looking for summer help - not sure if they do internships or paid positions... but they do provide housing, I think... look here: http://www.opera-nj.org/auditions/index.htm for descriptions. Scroll down to see jobs for the behind-the-scenes stuff. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you got my email re: the above--I'm happy to help if I can :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...