Talkin' 'bout bad girls

So, while I was thinking through today's post, an amazing thing happened to me. I had an epiphany. I was planning to start by saying that I generally spend my time focusing on things I'm already good at because I don't like being bad at things, and how every once in a while when I step out of my comfort zone it actually pays off, and then I was going to tell a Little Engine that Could-style story about a darts game I won last night. It was going to be a great post, witty and possibly even a bit inspirational, and all of you were going to wish that you could play darts with me while sucking down gin and tonics.

But back to the epiphany. You don't get to read the fantastic post I've just described, because I realized that I've changed! It's not actually true anymore that I shy away from activities that I'm bad at. Of course most of my time is spent doing my job, at which I kick some serious a**, if I do say so myself, but my leisure activities have broadened in scope. My fairly recent interest in photography is a prime example. Taking the time to actually learn how to use my camera (still a major work in progress) has improved my photos and increased my enjoyment in taking pictures. The old Little Ms. Bossy would have contented herself (and in fact did) with taking out the camera once a month or so and keeping it on the Auto setting the whole time.

This blog is another good example. I'm challenging myself to write, something I've always talked about wanting to do, but never actually followed through on, and although I'm not exactly spilling my guts here, I'm still opening myself up in a new way. A small risk, maybe, but a risk nonetheless. I think it's incredibly easy to get into a rut, to reach "adulthood" and think you've figured out who you're going to be for the rest of your life, to always describe yourself in the same way. Sometimes it takes someone outside yourself to notice how you've changed for you to realize it. Yesterday I was talking to my Best Friend on the phone, and she said, "It's so cool that now you can say you have a hobby outside of music." She was talking about photography, but I had never thought of it that way at all. I was still under the impression that I don't need a hobby, because I do my hobby for a job, and that certainly used to be true, but it's not anymore.

Which is all to say that, in examining how I spend my time and the person I've become/am becoming, I think I'm doing pretty well. And I think I'd like to keep it up, open myself up to change. Anyone have a cello they want to sell me?

Oh, and maybe I'll take up modeling while I'm at it. Check out this picture of me. Also this one. Too bad I don't look nearly that good in real life. That Fuzzball, she can definitely list photography in the "Things I'm Good At" column.

4 comments:

  1. You totally rocked that dart game... you'll probably beat me when we play darts...

    You do too look that good in real life. And I'm not just saying that to stroke your ego.

    You have an excellent eye for photography - I'm about the same in photography skill level, perhaps me a bit behind you - you're definitely good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably the red hair that has opened you up to a new you. You definitely look different to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you're even prettier in real life, so don't give me any of that nonsense. All I do is capture the beauty on film. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always funny to look around and see that the person you were isn't there anymore. I still think and describe myself as shy and I don't think I'll ever shake the idea in my head that I am shy, but I have changed SO much in the last year. I'm still trying to get used to this new person that willingly meets strangers and goes to meet-ups.

    And I'm seriously wondering why so many musicians take up photography? I have met and made a lot of new music friends through photography. Must be something about satisfying the visual side since the aural is taken care of. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...