Bad medicine is what I need

Everyone I know has a different way of handling a hard day or a stressful situation. One of my friends believes that free days are sacred, and very rarely spends time with people from work on her days off, instead using the time to recharge. Others do just the opposite and plan lots of group activities. Others drink a lot. (Don't give me that look.) My friend The New Oregonian has discovered that if she sits for 5 or 10 minutes and watches a video she really likes on her iPod before rehearsal, she’s calmer and happier when she gets there. At the moment her favorite is Feist’s 1234, otherwise known as “the woman in the blue sparkly suit.” I have to say, I tried out the iPod video therapy last night on my dinner break when I was about ready to tear my hair out, and it did take the edge off. So much so that I downloaded the video to my iPhone today. We all do what we need to do to show up to work 6 days a week and do our jobs well.

Oh, I know, boo hoo, making opera is soooo difficult. No, it is not the most stressful job in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Lives do not hang in the balance, and chances are pretty good that if the schedule isn’t quite right on a given day, or the set is taped out on the floor incorrectly, or someone forgets to tell the supers that their rehearsal was canceled, everyone will survive. However, there are certain aspects of the job that can cause a fair amount of pressure/stress/teeth-grinding: the amount of money being spent to put on the operas, the tight schedule to rehearse and mount enormous productions, and the, how shall I put it, creative personalities of many of the key players. Most days I have a lot of fun at work, and when I have a moment to sit back in rehearsal, I still pinch myself that I get to listen to some of the best singers in the world all day long and get paid for it. I love my job, but there are days when I have to use every tool in my arsenal to stay somewhat sane.

My weapon of choice? Retail therapy, baby. Tonight I went to the Rice Village and bought a new top that can only be described as boobalicious. I’ll be wearing it at my birthday party tomorrow night. Hope to see you there! After all, my birthday is in only 5 days!

1 comment:

  1. Went to Amazon and made a birthday choice for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...