Another op'nin', another show

It's opening night for Daughter, and I'm so excited! We got a little preview on Wednesday night at our Final Dress, which had a medium-sized invited audience. I felt like we were exactly where we should be preparation-wise, and what we really needed to bring the show to the next level was an audience. Comedies, even more than other shows, can only blossom and transform with people watching, and this show was no exception. Our production is updated from the original setting to the end of World War II. Tonio is in the French Resistance and Marie is the "daughter" of a regiment of American soldiers. There are lots of campy touches that bring to mind old movies about what fun it was to be in the army. There are moments in the show (particularly any time Ms. Ewa Podles is onstage) that make me giggle every single time I see them, but there are far more that I haven't laughed at in weeks. After seeing the show so many times, I really couldn't tell you whether it's funny or not. Until I'm surrounded by people who are seeing it for the first time, that is. How heartening it is to hear people roaring with laughter in all the right places. We're going into this opening night with complete confidence that people will love it!

During performances I don't get to sit in the audience. There is a viewing booth at the back of the first floor of the audience where I sit. I'm on headset with stage management in case there are any problems. More often than not there aren't any major issues that need my help, but occasionally I'm thankful to be able to communicate to backstage, like when a prop breaks, or when someone falls down, or, you know, when the tenor needs to be replaced at intermission because he's ill. No worries about that last one for this production; our singers are all healthy, except for a small epidemic of knee injuries earlier in the rehearsal process. The viewing booth where I sit is also where audience members who come late have to sit until intermission. They're always annoyed to be in there, especially because the supertitles can't be seen from the booth, and I'm used to getting dirty looks if I have to talk on headset.

Another opening night means another schmancy party! I'm recycling a dress, but the lovely ladies of the costume shop are making some alterations to it to make it all new (I felt like Cinderella when they were helping me). Today I went out and bought new jewelry and a wrap (have I mentioned that it's fall here?!?). Browns, golds, and greens to match the season and complement my red hair.

It's the day of the show, y'all!

4 comments:

  1. Mama and Papa Bossy want a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I was going to say break a leg and you should really take a picture of your attire, but it seems the two previous comments beat me to both points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm reminded of how much I LOVED opening nights when I was doing musical theatre. Not quite like grand opera but reminiscent nonetheless. And reminds me of how much I really miss that lovely feeling when finally an audience allows you to know a miraculous gift has been created. AND I love reading about it on msbossy. Thank you soooo much. rosagina

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...