Oh, what a night

As you probably know, it's bad luck to say "Good luck" to theatre people before a show. Instead, you say "Break a leg." In opera, we always have to do things our own way, so we have a whole set of sayings to choose from on opening night. "Toi toi toi" is a popular one, and I've heard it explained both as deriving from the German word for devil and from the sound of spitting over your shoulder. I'm personally partial to the latter explanation. We also say "In bocca al lupo" (literally "in the mouth of the wolf" in Italian). The correct response is "Crepi il lupo" (which can sort of be translated "The wolf will die"). In France (and in ballet companies everywhere), you say "Merde" (you can look up the translation for that one—Little Ms. Bossy doesn't have a potty mouth).

Apparently all the right things were said last night, because it was a spectacular opening! Everything went according to plan and the audience loved the show. Afterwards, we went to the cast party, hosted at an unbelievable penthouse apartment near Memorial Park. I tried to take pictures of the glorious view from the enormous balcony to show you, but I clearly still have a thing or two to learn about my camera. I mingled and schmoozed, as well as spending lots of time talking to my friends. The food was yummy (especially the dessert tray), and as we were leaving we even got party favors. Thank you, host, for your business card made of chocolate. If I ever have any wealth that needs managing, you will be the first person I call.

It was truly a great night. The director called me "Notre fille" all evening, the lighting designer pulled me aside to tell me how fabulous I was (go on, go on), and there was this chocolate truffle filled with peanut butter that was a little piece of heaven. My friend Fuzzball came, adored the show, and was just as excited as I was to see my name in the program. I took many pictures, so here's this week's installment of Little Ms. Bossy, Page Six. Unfortunately, none of the pictures show the best part of my dress, the fringe of feathers on the bottom, so you'll have to take my word for it.


Stage Management Angels




Our own King o' the High C's




Fuzzball & Me




Boys Boys Boys




The New Oregonian, my lovely date

3 comments:

  1. great accessories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! Congrats on what sounds like a great opening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on opening night! I'm so thrilled for you! And remembering with great nostalgia the absolute excitement/joy of doing theatre. Keep up the good work AND the joy! You are making my day! And, I must add -- you look stunning......

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...