I got big plans

I'm a planner. I can occasionally be mistaken for spontaneous, but generally I like to figure things out in advance. I have an Excel spreadsheet for my Europe trip, listing Things to Do, Things to Buy, and Things to Pack. When I complete a task, I cross it off right away.

Yes sir, I'm a planner.

That is, up until the point when I buy a plane ticket to Europe under my married name, forgetting that I never changed the name on either of my passports.

Oops.

The U.S. has a strange policy that you can only renew your passport in person if you're traveling within the next 14 days, so I have a few more days to wait. This morning, however, I decided to tackle the German passport renewal process. I arrived at the German Consulate armed with a completed passport application, photos, my marriage certificate, my expired German passport, and a cheery smile. But Germany, oh she was playing hard to get. First of all, in order for Germany to recognize my name change, I have to bring my husband with me to the Consulate (the marriage certificate isn't enough; they need to see him in the flesh to believe that we're married), fill out a bunch of paperwork, and then wait 2 months for it to be processed. Second of all, my German passport is not proof enough that I am German. After all, it was issued in San Francisco, not in Houston, so how can they tell whether or not it's real? No, I have to have my birth certificate, despite the fact that I was born in the U.S. Needless to say, I will not be traveling on my German passport any time soon. Oh, Germany, you may be a lot of things, but easy you are not. Cross your fingers that the U.S. bureaucracy is a little more forgiving.

So, on to things I can control. Like buying a new coat that will actually keep me warm. I've picked out this one, but I'm having trouble choosing a color. Please, give me your advice! I tried on the ivory at the store, and it was gorgeous and I loved it, but have you met me? It would stay ivory for about 5 minutes. I wish they had it in a pretty kelly green, but alas.

Back to planning. If you need me, I'll be cuddling up with Rick Steves' Austria and Germany 2007.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes. the 14 day thing should work in your favor. What about changing your name on your ticket? Is that any easier??

    I know you can pull off red with your red hair, but I'd go with the Dark Poppy over the lighter one. The brown would look stunning on you, and you could wear any shade of green with it. The Heather Charcol or surplus would look good as well.

    Hmm, I don't think I'm being much help. Don't get ivory (as you've already pointed out, it'll happen to almost anyon), roasted pepper is too bright and the honey glaze, not so much you.

    Go with what would go well with your wardrobe... if you have a lot of stuff that'll go well with browns or a navy, go with that. You know?

    Good choice in the coat, no matter what the color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow GORRRgeous coat. i think you'd do well in the heather surplus, no matter your hair color - i do tend to vote conservative with colors (and colors alone!). i'm so excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the coat is too short. When you're hanging around on the windy Bahnsteig waiting for the Zug your little Po will get cold. I say keep looking for the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with mama bossy! I think the coat is gorgeous but the longer, the better!
    ps: I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark Poppy and Navy are my two suggestions.... I think the length of the coat is perfect for it's style, although perhaps a longer one would be warmer. I'm not of the practical variety though and would go for that one, cause its gorgeous.

    miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...