Into the woods


Nature called this week, and for once I didn't let it ring through to voicemail. Instead, I strapped on my Tevas, slathered on some sunscreen, and headed down to Shenandoah National Park with CameraMan for a short vacation (or in my case, a vacation from vacation). Although we were only about an hour from DC, it felt like another world, a foreign land where the accents are thick, the deer are fearless, and the gas prices are under $4.

Up on the mountain the weather was gorgeous enough (and CM was tired enough from his other girlfriend) that we could have done nothing but laze around in chaise lounges for the whole trip, but instead we went in the complete opposite direction (and judging by the fact that CM can barely walk and I can only turn my head to the left, maybe too far) and decided to prove just how rugged and outdoorsy we could be.

We started the trip with a kayak trip, a first for both of us. We rented a tandem kayak, and though we quickly discovered that we knew next to nothing about how to steer a kayak, we found other ways to amuse ourselves: "Oh, Shenandoah" sing-alongs, posing for goofy pictures with our waterproof disposable camera (you'll see some soon, I promise, just as soon as we scan them all—we are of course completely inept when faced with pre-digital technology), and oohing and aahing over the COWS(!) in the river. And despite getting on the water totally unprepared for how to kayak, the one thing we were worried about (capsizing, obvs) never actually happened. And then there was the added bonus of being able to cross another item off my list.
  1. Go kayaking.
Which brings me to the next day, in which we hiked up and down mountains (seriously) for 6 hours, pausing briefly to snack on trail mix and Lunchables, and whimpering only when absolutely necessary. The Bossy folks tell me this counts as an all-day hike (see #22). What do you think? In some ways it felt like all day (in that I had to be horizontal the rest of that day and into the next), but in other ways it didn't (in that the being horizontal part of the day started around 2pm). So, I'm taking a poll. What say you, dear readers?

"I am rugged and outdoorsy" is my new mantra, although I'm quickly reverting to my old self. Since we got back I've been spending way too many hours swimming in HTML and CSS, going to see bad movies (Don't see Mamma Mia. Just don't.), and eating things that would not be on any hiker's diet.

Still, if she calls again, I just might get back to Nature.

3 comments:

  1. I think if the hike also wipes you out for the rest of the day it should count. I'm having such fun reading your entries as you cross them off your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! You are crossing off so many items lately! It seems as though you have truly embodied the purpose of making a life list. Not just making the list, but actually accomplishing things on it.

    About your poll, my question to you is: how long would you feel you need to hike in order for it to count as "all day"? I do hike, and I would say this one counts. Especially if your knee joints are aching and you suddenly have sore muscles that you didnt even know existed. Six hours is plenty!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are some things that are better done when you are young. Of course, you decide how long you are going to be young. You have time, lots of it.

    Don't netflix your life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...