The Ultimate To-Do List (1–25)

I've been in a bit of a "where is my life going" funk the past couple days. I can't pinpoint exactly what brought it on, but I'm sure it has something to do with the impending end of the season, along with which comes the start of my freelance career, beginning inauspiciously with a 4-month stint of unemployment. While I'm excited to branch out and work in other companies, I'm also freaking out. A lot. This is the first spring in 3 years that I haven't known what I was doing for the next 12 months, and I don't love the feeling.

In the interest of looking to the future, I'm hopping on the bandwagon started here and picked up here and many other places. It's a list of 100 Things to Do Before I Die, but I'm going to narrow mine down to just the next 10 years because I do so love to procrastinate.

So here goes… The first 25.

  1. Stop waiting for a man to take me to Paris and just go there already.

  2. Take cello lessons again. Get beyond "Go tell Aunt Rhodie."

  3. Bake Christmas cookies with Mama Bossy.

  4. Own a Vespa. Start a scooter gang.

  5. Get a piece of my writing published somewhere other than on the internet.

  6. Live in Europe for at least a year.

  7. Go to a café enough times that I can order "my usual" without explaining it.

  8. Direct Figaro.

  9. Swim with dolphins.

  10. Drive across the country on a leisurely road trip, stopping often on a whim to see anything that looks interesting.

  11. Vote for someone who actually becomes President.

  12. Run a race. Finish it.

  13. Find my best friend from childhood and reconnect.

  14. Have a baby.

  15. Successfully teach someone to drive a stick shift.

  16. See a sifaka outside of a zoo. This might involve a trip to Madagascar.

  17. Take a girls only weekend away.

  18. Make a home that I love returning to.

  19. Grow a plant and keep it alive for more than a month.

  20. Take a tree-top canopy zipline tour.

  21. Get Elite status on my frequent flier miles program.

  22. Go on an all-day hike.

  23. Teach an acting class for singers.

  24. Get Jennifer Aniston arms (but not Madonna arms).

  25. Fall in love. Make it stick.

More to come in the weeks ahead. What are some of yours?

9 comments:

  1. For #5, I often hear of original writing opportunities... now that I know you're interested, I'll pass them along.

    #10 - I really want to do that too.

    All of yours are great - I can't wait to see what else. This inspires me... I'd have to do a lot of thinking first!

    While I'm excited to branch out and work in other companies, I'm also freaking out. A lot. This is the first spring in 3 years that I haven't known what I was doing for the next 12 months, and I don't love the feeling.

    I'm totally with you there... actually. Scary, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will keep you busy for the summer. So what are you worried about? The money thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Louisa. I've been enjoying reading your blog. I can't remember where I found it--maybe via facebook? Anyway, you're a great writer.

    One of the members of my "moms group" challenged us to come up with 100 "dreams" for our lives- no limits on time, money, etc. She has hers in a sort of scrapbook with one per page, and every time she accomplishes one (or makes progress toward one) she ads a little note/photo/souvenir on that page. I've been inspired to start my own, and I'm currently on #63. And she encouraged us to share our books with our friends and family because we'd be surprised at how eager people are to help us achieve these dreams once they're known...

    Anyway, I like your list and I hope you don't mind if I steal from it!

    Cheers,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and such amazing dreams you have. I can't wait to follow along as you check them off the list. I might have to do this but maybe just make some goals for a year out. Baby steps for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could help you with #1, #15 and #17 and Cali boy could definitley help with the Vespa gang (he already has a name picked out)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I sign up for the stick-shift lessons? I'm constantly wondering where my life is going too. But you know what? I think it looks worse from the inside. Because it looks like the sky's the limit for LMB from where I'm standing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should combine your goals for efficiency!! - like: take a girls weekend to Paris, find a man there and teach him how to drive a stickshift and then have a baby.

    See, it's so quick!

    Haha - the list is great - I highly recommend the zipline treetop tour - the only downside is you may or may not walk funny afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark Violet: Scary indeed. Just trying to do the Little Red Ridinghood thing—you know, excited AND scared!

    Doublereedrage (aka Papa Bossy): Ummm... yes. Exactly.

    Rosie: So nice to hear from you! That project sounds incredible. I'd love to hear about some of your dreams.

    Laanba: Baby steps are good. I couldn't commit to a lifetime list—even 10 years seems like a long time.

    smkeb (aka Little Ms. Hardcore): Yes, please. :)

    New Oregonian: Ditto, my friend. And thank you.

    KT: Brilliant! And no worries, I may or may not walk funny already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shouldn’t take 10 years. It’s just a matter of doing things in the right order. KT’s suggestions are very good, but there are more possibilities for efficiency. Try doing #20 and # 16 at the same time. #1 fits in well with #6, # 7 and #4. Chances are good for #11 and #3 this year. But don’t do #14 before you do #25. Don’t do #8 while doing #9 or #15 or #22. For #5, would you like to write something for the Marion County Democrats Newsletter? I have connections.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...