I'm as corny as Kansas in August

It's only been a week, but I have fallen head over heels in love with my new camera, just as I knew I would. Since her (the camera is definitely female, but I'm so enamored that I haven't been able to name her yet—give me some time) much-anticipated arrival last Friday, I've taken her everywhere with me, much to the annoyance and amusement of my friends and colleagues. I can't help it. She's so pretty. And she takes pretty pictures. And, if you care to travel the geek trail with me for just a moment, she also has a giant 3" screen, 12.2 megapixels, a dedicated ISO button, Live View, 9 auto-focus points, and 3.5 frames per second continuous shooting. And did I mention she's pretty?

She came with me to opening night of La Bohème (you can read the review here, and check out the pic by CameraMan!), and to the 3 subsequent performances, where we wandered around backstage taking arty pictures of the props.



I also took her to the Zoo (of course), the brand new Discovery Green, the Orange Show, the Beer Can House, and the National Museum of Funeral History, most of which were included on the tour of Weird Houston that KT and I took to celebrate her birthday. Because nothing says "Happy Birthday!" like walking through a giant room filled with hearses, jewelry made from human hair, and a wax statue of Abraham Lincoln lying in a coffin. Am I right?



My favorite thing about the camera so far is taking pictures of people (and my kitten), something I always hated with my old camera. As part of the big camera purchase I bought a 50mm f/1.8 portrait lens, mainly because I want to be just like CameraMan when I grow up. The lens makes everybody look better, and the 1.8 aperture gives that awesome blurry background thing that I just can't get enough of. It's making me very happy but has the unfortunate result of nobody wanting to sit next to me for fear of having 80 pictures taken while they are eating and/or laughing.



No worries, friends, I'm sure that at some point the euphoria will wear off and things will go back to normal. But let me enjoy it while it lasts.

Because there's nothing like falling in love to put a smile on your face. And I seem to be grinning a lot these days.

3 comments:

  1. Grin away, m'dear. Congratulations on the fun camera. I've been inspired by your backstage pictures, and spent some time taking fun pictures of backstage.

    Someday I too will have a pretty DSLR to drool over. And I'm inspired by the portrait lens.

    I look forward to seeing all the pictures you'll take with your new toy, I mean, camera.

    p.s. How did you do those fun picture mosaics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Congratulations on your new fun camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bossy Cat. I miss you. Quick! While your mama is busy with the camera, slip out the door and run away to me in Boston.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...