Yadda yadda yadda


I spent a little time this weekend with my other boyfriend (aka the Bossy Camera, which is slowly but surely revealing all the wonders it can perform) and CameraMan's other girlfriend (aka Alcina). Yes, I'm back at Wolf Trap for a nice long visit.

As I've mentioned all too often, I am currently a homeless nomad (although maybe not for long—more on that soon). Faced with an entire summer with no employment and/or housing, the question was, where to go? The obvious choice was to the Trap, which this summer has the greatest concentration of people I adore (although Central City comes in at a close second). Add to that a lovely place to stay for me and the Bossy Cat, the proximity of DC (and MuseumGirl, a good friend from college), and my familiarity with the area from the last two summers, and I was sold. In the back of my mind, though, I was concerned about what it would be like to be here without working here. I don't have a great track record of being content during stints of unemployment, and I worried that watching all my friends working where I had been so happy in the past might just send me over the edge.

But as it turns out, I'm having the best time. I keep forgetting that so many people here now know me as a girlfriend rather than as a director, but I'm getting used to it. And I'm so thankful to be able to just sit in the balcony during a rehearsal, taking pictures when I feel like it, reveling in the beautiful music being made by CameraMan, The Wise Soprano (pictured above), and everyone else in Alcina, not to mention everyone who sang the hell out of Candide last night (I'm looking at you, ACB). And it turns out that being an Opera Girlfriend comes with many of the same perks as actually working here: comp tickets, party invitations, etc. So while I don't expect to make a lifestyle change anytime soon (I still have more fun when I get to run the rehearsal, of course), it's been good for me to realize how much of what makes me happy has absolutely nothing to do with work.

Plus, if I hadn't come here I probably never would have been at a party with George Costanza like I was last night. True story.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lousia! It's been a looong time! I stumbled across your blog and thought I'd say hi. Looks like you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're having a good summer - looking forward to the upcoming news...

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...