Hello out there



A few weeks ago, after a series of events so coincidental they could only be fated, I found myself saying five words I thought might never come out of my mouth again:

I should blog about that.

It's been ages since anything has felt particularly blog-worthy to me, but just the saying of it seems to have unlocked a door behind which every blog idea I've ever had was hiding, clamoring to be written down. They're following me around, filling my head as I'm running, or standing in line at the grocery store, or killing time playing Threes (so, all the time). It's thrown me for a bit of a loop.

I've been missing the blog, honestly. More than the act of writing itself (though I know I've gotten rusty in that respect), I've missed the lens of the blog, the parsing of my day to write about it, the surprise flashes of inspiration. There's a popular theory that our constant need to document our lives is hindering us from actually living/experiencing moments in real time, but I have found the opposite to be true. When you have a terrible memory like I do, you have two main options: 1) Surround yourself with people who have creepy total recall (as I unwittingly did during every embarrassing undergraduate adventure, as it turns out), or 2) write it down. Many of my strongest memories from the past few years are the things I blogged about—not because I re-read the posts, but because I wrote them, and through writing got to experience them twice.

So here I am, poking my head around the door, seeing if this is a room I'd like to live in again. I think it might be.

We don't have to do that thing where I catch you up on absolutely everything that's happened in the past 18 months, do we? That sounds tedious for everyone. Just the briefest of recaps to bring you into our present:

Some time ago, CM and I realized that we weren't spending nearly enough time together and that we hadn't come close to achieving any sort of healthy, sustainable work/life balance. So we set about to change that. We have moved our things into storage (AGAIN), packed up our kitties, and become homeless nomads. This season we're experimenting with being together a lot more, working a bit less, and trying to carve out a life that matches our stated priorities. For the moment the whole family's in Vienna (AGAIN!) for the fall while CM works at the Staatsoper. We'll be back in the States after Christmas while I work in Houston and New York, we'll take a springtime jaunt to Japan, and after that…TBD. It's all very exciting/terrifying.

I'm thinking about bringing you along for the ride. Care to join me?

Photo by CameraMan

6 comments:

  1. I definitely missed your blogging. I'm glad you're doing the whole work & travel together thing.. for sure! With both your talents and CM's, I don't think you'll be hard up for a place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad LMB is back. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This will tide me over until we can hang out (um, I mean work! Work really hard!) together again.

    And eat all the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! If you come to Vienna, I will totally show you the BEST ice cream. Could even give Jeni a run for her money, seriously.

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...