Introducing... the Bossy Kitten!

Yesterday morning we were lazing around in bed chatting and checking our phones when CM said, “You do not want to know what I’m looking at right now.” Obviously I knew it was kittens. I've been campaigning for a kitten for the better part of, oh I don't know, our ENTIRE relationship, and he always has a lot of very practical reasons why it's not a great idea.

I guess he changed his mind.


Friends, I’d like to introduce you to Lola. By the vet’s estimate she’s about 3 or 4 weeks old, and as the runt of her litter she weighs a whopping 10 ounces. A friend of a friend of ours found her and her 5 brothers and sisters under a bush in his backyard Sunday morning. She’s quick to purr and quick to squeak, and she's already figured out how to lap up formula from a dish, though that doesn’t stop her from rooting around trying to find a drink when she’s sleepy. She has already charmed us and everyone who has met her, including our dinner party guests last night (the key to a successful dinner party is obviously a tiny kitten navigating the obstacle course of glasses and dishes on the table at the end of the meal—so entertaining) and every single person we encountered at the vet’s office today.



The Bossy Cat doesn’t know quite what’s happening yet, and we’d like to keep it that way for a while, as she gets used to the smells and sounds of a kitten in the house. We’re trying to pay her lots of attention and give her treats whenever she asks for them, lest there be any doubt that we still love her.

It’s crazy that when we woke up yesterday we didn’t know we were getting a kitten, and now I can’t imagine not having her here. Did you do anything unexpected this weekend?

Photos by CameraMan

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad he gave in because she's a darling! Congrats again on the newest member of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally adorable! What a beautiful, cuddly kitty-kat -----

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louisa,

    I've been in London, and with spotty internet access, so when I first saw the kitten I was afraid something had happened to the Bossy Cat. Glad that was not the case. Lola is adorable, and makes me want to go out and get a kitten too. But I'm away a lot, and I don't miss the litter box, so I think I may restrain myself. I'm glad there are people like you rescuing these abandoned animals though..... Glad you have some time to spend in Houston. I was in London for 10 days for the Ring, a wonderful (at least I though so) concert performance of A Village Romeo and Juliet, and Martinu's Julietta, which was the sleeper for me, and I'd loved to have seen it at least twice more. Hope you have a chance to work on something like that at some point. I also spent time with friends and did the normal sight seeing. I'll be in SF the end of the month for Moby Dick and Lohengrin, and in NYC for The Tempest, Ballo and Clemenza mid November, so it will be busy right up to getting ready for the holidays - but I'm just an observer, not a participant - although I did get invited backstage and to the cast party after Gotterdammerung because I knew the soprano singing Gutrune (she was one of the best I have seen) and was able to talk briefly to some of the other singers - certainly icing on the cake of a very musically successful Ring. So glad to have you back posting regularly. I missed you over the summer. I can't believe we are back in the fall swing already though. I did go to Santa Fe this summer, and visited a tapas restaurant, La Boca, which I had been to a couple of times a few years ago. I bought a new cookbook by the chef, and have had fun trying out some of the excellent recipes, like the stuffed pork tenderloin. I don't have a link for it, but can send the recipe if you are interested. The chef is James Campbell Caruso, and the name of the cookbook is España - Exploring the flavors of Spain. And what flavors! And many of the recipes are pretty simple with the right ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...