What I did last year (when I wasn't watching Downton Abbey)


As an experiment, in 2011 I tracked (in an Excel spreadsheet) every performance I attended, excepting the ones I worked. I recorded what I saw, where I saw it, and with whom, with a few little notes about cast, director, etc. Which is how I know that in 2011 I saw 16 movies, 4 Broadway plays, 2 orchestra concerts, 5 recitals, 1 jazz concert, 1 ballet performance, and 17 operas. SEVENTEEN OPERAS! Then, because I'm nerdy like that, I had to go back and figure out how many opera performances I attended in the line of duty, and it turns out it's 25. That means that all told I saw 42 opera performances last year. That is a lot of opera, particularly since I (mostly) took the summer off.

I'm back to tracking again this year (with one movie already under my belt). It's an enlightening picture of a year in my life, and I imagine I'll enjoy looking back at it some years from now.


My favorite performances of 2011, in chronological order:

February 4, 2011: Dudamel conducting Mahler 9 with the LA Philharmonic in the Musikverein

April 1, 2011: Jerusalem on Broadway starring the incredible Mark Rylance

May 21, 2011: Bridesmaids with Legs McGee, where we snuck Chick-fil-A into the theater

July 21, 2011: Traviata in the Arena di Verona on the last night of our honeymoon

November 13, 2011: American Ballet Theatre at City Center with The Wise Soprano—the perfect palate cleanser after weeks of Mozart and Handel

November 26, 2011: Satyagraha at the Met (BEST. THING. EVER.) with CM

December 5, 2011: Sleep No More


For 2012: more performances outside of Lincoln Center, more movies by myself, more non-opera date nights with CM. I can't wait.

What have been your recent faves?

Photo by LMB

5 comments:

  1. That's a really good thing to track - and what lovely memories... I wonder what I'm at. Considering my new job title, I'm seeing an awful lot of things 'in the line of duty' but not so many things outside.

    I *am* watching a lot of TV on DVD vs tv... does that count? HAHAH.

    But in all seriousness, I'm hoping to attend more and more cultural events in STL...

    Nice accomplishment you achieved in 2011. May 2012 be just as or even more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - If TV on DVD didn't count as culture, where would any of us be? :) I'll be in STL for a bit at the beginning of the summer. Will you be there? Maybe you can give me some tips for what to see/do while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louisa - I know, right? Hah.

    Exciting that you're coming to St. Louis! It is highly likely that I will be here at that time. I can definitely give you some tips for how to spend your free time and even join you on a photography outing or two if you'd like.

    Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding this post title: I am totally hooked on Downton Abbey! I'm almost done with Season Two via some illegal streaming site, because I have no self restraint and can't just wait for them to air on PBS. When I'm done, I think I'll go back and watch all the pretty all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I streamed it all illegally, too. Waiting is for suckers.

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...