Buenos dias, 2012!


Tradition dictates that if we're together on New Year's Eve we stay home, play a drinking game while watching a movie, kiss at midnight, and toast to the year to come. This year we added Mama and Papa Bossy to the mix, but we kept the plan the same, watching Bridesmaids and drinking every time we heard a swear word or the word "wedding." It was a lovely relaxing way to start the new year, surrounded by my loved ones in the house that already feels like home.

It seems I'm constantly making self-improvement plans, vowing to do better and BE better, to live the life I want and enjoy every minute of it. No matter how many times plans fall through and old habits override new efforts, I am ever optimistic about my chances for success.

A friend wrote this a couple of days ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head, especially this:

"I'm an unabashed believer in the big dream, and I believe not on faith but on evidence. Brothers and sisters, I have seen people reinvent their lives over and over again. People start businesses. People quit drinking. People get married, have children, create art, move to new cities, speak in foreign tongues, and then they throw everything in their life up in the air and try something new. They set their sights on a prize far off, and then they move. And yes, small daily steps are part of that journey. But so are the long vision, the dare, the jump off the cliff into the unknown. And so are failure and disappointment."

How right she is. Let's make some resolutions, shall we, without fear of failure. I've been lucky enough to have 2 amazing years in a row—let this year bring even more joy and fulfillment. And yes, let's identify the practical steps that will help us make our goals, but let's be sure not to lose sight of where those small steps are leading us. So, forthwith, my 2012 New Year's resolutions (and there's nothing small about them):

I resolve to make a true home in Houston.
I mean "home" in every sense of the word. I want to make our house everything we need it to be, warm and peaceful and inviting. I want to find activities and work that will keep me where CM is more of the time. I want to tend to my Houston friendships and make new ones. I want to take full advantage of everything our adopted hometown has to offer.

I resolve to cross off at least 10 Bossy List items.
Because it's fun!

I resolve to ask for what I want in my career.
Let 2012 be the year I stop expecting opportunities to fall in my lap, although it sure is lovely when they do.

I resolve to make my health a priority.
Exercise, vegetables, flossing, etc. I'm in my 30s now—I can't think of a good excuse not to (and believe me, I'm trying).

I resolve to spend my precious free time in ways that make me happy and invigorated.
More exploration, less Hulu.


What's on your big, no-fear list this year? 2012, let's do this.

9 comments:

  1. My resolution this year is Stop Being Lazy. And it isn't just the "I don't wanna" type of lazy, but the other kind where I am hiding from myself and withdrawing into a little cocoon. I'm forcing myself to put myself out there. And I'll admit to some fear, but I have lots of those small daily steps set up so I think I'll get through it.

    So glad to see you blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie - Brava you! That sounds like a worthy resolution. I'm rooting for your success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your resolutions!

    I especially like the last two... about health and about making your free time make you happy and not stressed and filled with errands.

    My resolutions include this monster project - if you feel so inclined, join me! Its not as monstrous as a 365 project... but similar:

    http://biscuitswithhoney.blogspot.com/2012/01/photo-project-2012-52-weeks.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - Your project sounds incredible! Probably too monstrous for me, but I wish you luck and I look forward to seeing your results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louisa,

    I love your "Less Hulu" resolution! But, life is best with a soupcon of Amy Poehler, n'est-ce pas?

    Meeting you has been a wonderful addition to my 2011, and I hope very much to see you sometime in 2012!

    My best to all the Bossies (or is it Bossys?),

    Alison M.

    PS - If I had a list, I would add "Attempt to eat a meringue as big as my head in front of a person I hardly know" and then cross it off immediately. Been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison - But you ate the head-sized meringue with such grace! Hope to see you again soon. Be thinking about what awkwardly large food to order next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had resolved not to have a resolution this year. and then i went to yoga and thought through 2011, which was both incredible and incredibly frustrating, and i resolved to truly, TRULY give no more of my precious energy to toxic situation, people, or thoughts. whether the negativity is real or self-inflicted, it stops in 2012. glad you're blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the perfect resolution! Negativity is such a dangerous trap—I'm always surprised by how easily it sucks me in. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...