Emily & Tom • July 3, 2004

While we're away on honeymoon, I've scheduled a series of posts about happy marriages I know, the ones that inspire me and give me hope. You can read them all here.


From Emily...

On what day were you married?
July 3rd, 2004


What do you remember most from your wedding day?
I know I'm supposed to say “The look on Tommy's face when I walked down the aisle” or “our first dance as a married couple” or something. But really, the thing I will always remember is the dessert table at the reception. It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. It was an all-you-can-eat endless buffet of cream puffs shaped like swans, chocolate covered fruit, cakes, cannolis, cheesecake, fondue fountains, and more. It was the first time I ever tasted creme brûlée. I packed up a huge to-go box of sweets and ate it for breakfast the next day.
(I just asked Tommy what he remembers most, and he said “I just remember being really busy.” How romantic.)


What is your advice for a happy and fulfilling marriage?
 Yikes. I'm not sure. But I think these things help:
•Fart jokes
•A wiener dog
•Separate checking accounts
•Cold indifference
But really, I think if you respect each other you can build a strong marriage. Love is great, but respect can do wonders. We are one of those annoying couples that have never had a fight. (Oh, we disagree PLENTY, but we never really fight.) I think it is because we respect each other as individuals. We are best friends before anything else. (The items in my list are very helpful as well, though.)


Anything you know now that you wish you had known when you got married?
We lived together for quite a while before we got married, so we both knew what we were getting into. Bathroom habits and all. (And yet, we still went through with it.) Tommy wishes he had known I wouldn't be a blonde for very long. Good thing he didn't know, or he might have gotten cold feet. Now he is stuck with a brunette. I guess it is a good sign that I can't really think of anything else.

2 comments:

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...