My new favorite song

I've known sort of peripherally for a while that a song exists with my name in it. Usually upon being introduced to me, people make little jokes or Verdi references (because of the opera that shares my name... almost). But every once in a while, someone will sing a little snatch of a song that goes something like "I love Louisa, Louisa, Louisa." Generally the person singing is drunk.

Last night the song got mentioned before the drinking even began. CM and I had a few of his colleagues over for cocktails and snacks after their sitzprobe, and right away the Maestro asked if I had heard this song. CM, intrepid Googler that he is, found it, downloaded it, and had it playing in seconds.

And what a song it is. The part I had heard is not the best part of the song, not even close. There are so many brilliant moments. There's an entire verse about beer, including the amusing (if not entirely grammatically sound) line, "Beer goes very good with beer." There's a hilarious "What's a rhyme for bosom?" moment. There's even a whole verse auf Deutsch.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me share with you my new favorite song. It's called "I Love Louisa," and it just might be the most perfect song ever written. Here's Fred Astaire singing it.

4 comments:

  1. Beats being associated with the musical, Annie. *sigh* I despise that show for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next thing I want to hear is CameraMan singing this. Once he learns his German.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too hilarious! I've sung the little chorus through the years. Loved hearing all that goes with it! Quite a find CM!
    All together now.....
    I love Louisa! Grandma Bossy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song almost as much as I love beer. And Louisa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...