Dîner en blanc

Last night I walked out of work as usual…except it wasn't usual, because I found myself completely surrounded by a sea of people dressed in white. They were all toting folding tables and chairs, and I knew immediately what it must be: Dîner en blanc! The ultimate, original pop-up dinner party, it started in Paris and is now all over the world.

I, of course, was dressed in turquoise jeans, but that didn't stop me from following to see where they were going.



Turns out, they were going to the Lincoln Center Plaza! None of the guests knew where they were going until right before it started. They met in groups of 250 at various locations around the city and were coordinated by leaders to bring them to the spot. Last year (the first year in NYC) it took place on the World Financial Center Plaza. I'm so happy that this year it was in my 'hood so I could see it!

I watched them setting up for a bit:



Then I went away to run errands and get some dinner. On my way home, I decided to stop by again to see the party in full swing. It was gorgeous.


The Dîner en Blanc prides itself on being somewhat swanky. Guests are encouraged to dress elegantly (and in white, obvs), and no paper plates or plastic cups are allowed. I saw lots of people in hats and fascinators, and so many lovely white dresses it made me want to get married again, just for an excuse to wear one.

My favorite photo of the night:



You better believe I've already added my name to the waiting list for next year's dinner. Care to join me?

5 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've participated in some underground dining here in STL and it is FAB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get in on some underground dining. Sounds amazing.

      Delete
    2. You really do. I think you would LOVE it!

      Delete
  2. My granddaughter and I ran into this same dinner in Quebec City last Thursday night. They had closed the street into the old city off. They were setting up tables and chairs in the late afternoon when we returned to the hotel, and were just getting started when we went out to dinner at about 7:30. There were still quite a few partiers left when we returned again around 10. So we looked it up on the web too to find out what it was. It looked like people brought their own food, but they did have wine on a table, which I presume they were selling. Very swanky....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I love that it's everywhere. Although not in Houston yet—maybe we need to work on that.

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...