Bossy Budget

Apparently grown-up people make these things called "budgets." They even do something referred to as "saving." I don't know too much about it, but I'm thinking it might be about time to learn. Now that we have furniture and a car and all those essentials taken care of, CM and I have decided it's time to start saving more aggressively (or at all)*. So! We're budgeting! And trying to stay upbeat about it! Yay!

One way we're planning to save money is by getting rid of our cable service. CM read this article in GQ about how there are lots of new ways to watch TV now other than your friendly local cable provider. It started us talking. We watch a good chunk of TV, but is it enough to warrant the enormous amount we spend on cable? We decided it wasn't.

Here's a handy visual aid of our yearly expenses for you:


This, in a nutshell, is our new experimental plan. We already have an Apple TV, which we can link up to our TV and stream both Netflix and Hulu Plus. For the shows we watch that aren't available on Hulu, we'll either watch them on our computers through the network websites, or we'll wait until they're out on DVD and available on Netflix. For a huge savings, it's only slightly less convenient.

How do you watch TV? Are you still paying for cable? That's sooooo first half of 2012.


*CM is being responsible. I, on the other hand, have my eye on this.

4 comments:

  1. I watch TV on DVD primarily, yet kept our low cost ($35) cable because we're getting more channels than we're paying for because the tech was too lazy to block us out. Sadly no HBO or anything like that, but...

    Good luck with the Bossy budget - I need put myself on one as well...

    But I will say that the Madagascar trip DOES cross an item off your list...

    ():-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I know it. That's what I keep telling CM...

      Delete
  2. I cut the cable in November of 2010. I really thought I was going to do all these things to keep up with my TV shows, but in the end I didn't. I am surprised how easy it was. I watch TV every day. I watch Netflix in the evening and on weekends and over the air channels in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work. I'm excited that I'll be able to add Hulu Plus to my Apple TV lineup. I think you are both going to love it. I don't miss cable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear your testimonial! I have a feeling we're going to like the new setup.

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...