Bye-bye, Berchtesgaden

Folks, I've had a fling. When I left Berchtesgaden this morning, I felt like I was in one of those movies where a great love affair ends with one person leaving on an epic train journey. That person was me. I was pressing my face against the glass of the window, trying to catch one last glimpse of my love, willing myself not to cry.

Only in my case, nobody was running along the platform as the train gained speed, blowing kisses and shouting promises. There will be no love letters, no sweet whispered phone calls. That's because my new love, the one I can't get out of my head, isn't a person at all. It's an adorable little Alpine town, whose downtown Rick Steves incorrectly refers to as "a touristy mess." Ah, Berchtesgaden, how I will miss you.

I planned to stay 2 nights, and I ended up staying 4. I didn't do a whole lot while I was there. I skipped all the Nazi sightseeing opportunities. I didn't go skiing. I didn't even tour the salt mines wearing one of those cool flashlight hats. What did I do for 4 days? I went on long walks on snowy footpaths. I sat in cafés eating cake and drinking hot chocolate. I went swimming. I pet the cat who lived in my hotel. I read. I stared at the mountains out my window. I thought about buying a dirndl. It wasn't much, but it was perfect.

What's next for Little Ms. Bossy? 2 days in Munich with one of the Bossy cousins, then a nerdy opera weekend in Hamburg, where I'll see Elektra and Tannhäuser and sit in on some rehearsals. After that, a much-anticipated reunion with the Army Brat, in which I will venture into the land of the thumb-suckers once again.

I'm leaving you with the view from my hotel window. See what I mean?

5 comments:

  1. I don't blame you one bit. It sounds fabulous - and isn't that what your second half of the trip is all about? Doing what feels right to you, not adhering to a pre-determined plan or schedule.

    I'm glad you found solace in that town - enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the sign of a good trip when you can toss away your planned schedule and experience places-not as a museum-but as if you were living there. I am so incredibly jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stuck in Athens with cement all around me, I am so jealous. That sounds perfect! And that view, again, I'm so jealous.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean! The first time I left England after a visit with my aunt, uncle, and cousins, I felt like crying (or maybe I did?) as I was watching from the ship the white cliffs of Dover getting smaller and smaller on the horizon.
    I was about five.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Dieter from Berchtesgaden and I feel very happy about the words you found for my hometorf.
    After 50 years (1946 - 1996)experience with AFRC (Armed Forces Recreation Center) Berchtesgaden, I can tell you: We love you Americans!
    Sencerely: Dieter

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...