Aufwiedersehen, Wien

Tonight's my last night in Vienna, and tomorrow morning I start the second half of my European adventures, the part I like to call "Where the hell am I going?" Fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants spontaneity was incredibly attractive to me a month ago when I was planning (or not planning, in this case) my trip, but at the moment it's causing me a certain amount of panic. As of this morning, I didn't know where I was going to be for the night tomorrow (which town, I mean, let alone a hotel). As of now, however, my trains and hotels are booked through Monday night! (Yes, I realize that's only 3 days from now, thank you.)

Tomorrow I'm heading to Salzburg for the day, where I will traipse around following in the footsteps of those wacky Von Trapps (oh, and Mozart). From there I'll go to Berchtesgaden, a small town in the mountains best known as Hitler's playground, but which for me seems like the perfect place to relax, soak at a spa, and visit an old salt mine (why not?). I'm looking forward to getting away from city life for a couple days.

So, on to the Vienna recap.

My Favorites:
  • Exploring, walking all over every inch of the old city (at least that's how it felt to me).
  • Christmas markets.
  • Speaking German. Or something approximating German.
  • Standing room at the Staatsoper.
  • Self-reflection time. Lots of it. A blessing and a curse.
  • Cake, chocolate, sausage, cheese, Fanta.
  • Taking pictures.
  • The day it snowed and I was so excited and everyone else was talking about what horrible weather we were having.
  • Bonding with The Soprano from Wisconsin.
  • Doing whatever I wanted, without having to check with anybody else.

What I Learned:
  • That it's not really okay to simply guess what gender German nouns are.
  • That there are people who think that in America school shootings are commonplace, everyone eats Cheez Wiz, and we all love Arnold Schwarzenegger.
  • That I am highly unfashionable because I do not tuck my pants into my boots. Unfortunately, when I do I look like this.
  • Many ways to say "I'm drunk" in German.
  • That going to a movie in English is a powerful cure for homesickness.
  • That iChat is an even more powerful one.
  • How to dial international phone numbers. To be honest, I'm still figuring this one out.
  • That an iSight camera is very useful for doing your makeup in the mornings if you happen to break the mirror in your room.
  • That Pandora doesn't work in Europe. Bummer.
  • That the time difference means I always have email in the morning when I wake up. I love that.


Goodbye, Vienna. Thanks for the memories. Until we meet again...

4 comments:

  1. Sag zum Abschied leise 'Servus'... Don't miss the train. It will leave at 8:22, not 8:23

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to ski at Berchtesgaden! I have fond memories of ski lessons in the morning, then lunch followed by hot cocoa and German cartoons on a movie screen in a big dark lodge. So cozy...

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're having fun - this is when your adventure truly begins! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the gallivanting. I miss you, so I'm glad for this blog of yours...

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...