Alpsolutely fabulous

On a Saturday morning in December, every 5 minutes or so a bus arrives in Salzburg and unloads a large group of middle-aged Germans, the men wearing traditional Tyrolean hats, the women with hair in shades of blonde and red not found in nature. They swarm through the streets of the old city, buying up as much Mozart-themed candy as they can carry. Should you be foolish enough to try and meander through the cobblestone streets, you will find yourself inching along in a clutch of Bavarians, unable to speed up or stop, following a large woman holding up an umbrella.

It's unpleasant. So unpleasant, in fact, that when I got to Salzburg on Saturday I almost turned right around and went back to the train station. I stuck it out, though, and I'm glad I did. If you can get past the theme park aspect of Salzburg (I'm not sure if it's more dedicated to Mozart or to Mozartkugeln), there is a lot that is good about the city. I spent a couple hours at the Mozart museum, which is housed in an apartment the Mozart family lived in. The museum was actually quite good, and the audioguide played lots of his music to accompany the trip through the museum, which I liked very much. In the gift shop I bought opening night presents for Magic Flute (my next project). "La ci darem la mano" with a disco beat was playing on the stereo. Ah yes, the home of Mozart.

The best part of the day by far was the trip (via elevator) up to the top of the Mönchberg, a mountain that stands on the edge of the old city and offers magnificent views. (If I were on my own computer instead of the hotel's, with its bizarro German keyboard, I would upload pics and show them to you.) Oddly enough, the only way to get away from the tourists in Salzburg seems to be to go the actual tourist destinations. The museum was almost empty, and I was able to roam freely around the Mönchberg.

Now, I'm in Berchtesgaden, and I'm loving it so much that I'm having trouble leaving. I was supposed to be gone by now, but I extended my stay an extra night, and I think I might stay one more. I don't have to be anywhere until Wednesday, when I'm meeting my cousin Ulrike in Munich. I don't know if it's the fresh air, the stunning mountain view off my balcony, or the food of the gods I discovered at the restaurant next door, but whatever it is, Berchtesgaden agrees with me.

It's December now, and given the complete and utter failure of my 30-day project last month, I'm not starting one this month. Instead, dear readers, I've come up with some projects (homework) for you!

1. Download Ingrid Michaelson's music and listen to it. You'll be glad you did, I promise. I highly recommend both her albums, but if you must choose one, buy Girls and Boys.

2. Eat some Tex-Mex for me. I have such a craving, and strangely enough, it's not so easy to find in the Alps. Bonus points if you have a margarita.

3. Superbad comes out on DVD tomorrow. Buy it, rent it, Netflix it, whatever you have to do. I plan on buying it immediately when I get back on December 17, and I'm going to expect all my friends to be able to quote it on command.

4. Tell me who you are! I would love to know who is reading this thing. If you're too shy to comment, send an email to littlemsbossyblog at gmail. And if you have a blog, send me the link!

11 comments:

  1. Since you asked, I work for the Federal government, but on my own time I sing classical music, and I love to read your blog at work during my lunch hour. I love reading what you write about your work, and at the moment, your travels. I know what you mean about missing things from home, but time passes so quickly....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an American high school student currently living in Oxford, England. I aspire to be a classical singer or at least be able to make a living in the world of classical music, and so I find your blog both informative and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an American high school student currently living in Oxford, England. I aspire to be a classical singer or at least be able to make a living in the world of classical music, and so I find your blog both informative and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a religious reader of your blog [no, i'm not a nun, I just like to read about your adventures!] from the other, non-European Vienna. I wish we could have coffee (or margaritas...you know me)and chat! Rain check?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am living vicariously through your travels and through the fabulous people you are meeting and the fascinating job that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When are you coming back???? Little Ms. Hardcore misses littlemsbossy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't have a nickname yet, but you know who I am. Living vicariously through your blog and looking forward to working on another show with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a middle-aged opera lover living in the Pacific Northwest. My daughter trained as a singer and then decided she would rather be an opera stage director. I really love reading the blog because Little Miss Bossy is so much like my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't come up with a clever nickname, but you know who I am. It is great to see how far we've come since the LU days, and I miss your witty banter! Hope you are well, and I'm loving your travel blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatever you do - DO NOT EAT TEX-MEX OR MEXICAN FOOD IN EUROPE - most expecially in Germany. No nachos, no tacos - none of it. You will regret it if you do - I promise...you will be so much happier if you wait.

    I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying your time over here!!! Looking forward to seeing you soon in Houstonia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love Ingrid Michaelson and especially Boys and Girls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...