War stories of the travel-weary

It's no great secret that I love to travel. I write about it frequently in this space, I talk about it incessantly to anyone who will listen, and I could easily fill up an entire to-do list exclusively with travel goals.

Some days, however, push even a travel addict like myself to question whether it's all worth it. Like yesterday, for example.

12:00p EDT All packed. Spend the next 3 hours congratulating myself on fitting everything I need for 20 days in Oregon into my allotted 2 carry-ons. Eat some lunch.

3:00p EDT Off to Dulles Airport a bit early.

3:30p EDT Happily ensconced at my gate with Starbucks and magazines.

5:04p EDT Scheduled departure time for flight to JFK.

5:50p EDT Actual departure time for flight to JFK.

7:30p EDT Scheduled departure time for flight from JFK to Portland.

7:30p EDT Actual arrival time in JFK, followed by feverish running to my gate while shoving people out of my way right and left.

8:00p EDT Delayed departure time listed at gate slash cruel joke played by airport employees.

9:00p EDT Thunderstorms cause the airport to close its ramp to all departing and arriving flights. Coincidentally, all airport restaurants close. Whiny phone calls to CameraMan and the Bossy parents ensue.

10:05p EDT Board the plane to Portland. Attempt not to faint from hunger.

12:00a EDT Stumble back to the flight attendants to beg for food. Receive crackers as a reward.

11:00p PDT Scheduled arrival time in Portland. I include this only for emphasis.

3:30a EDT Wheels up. Nobody applauds.

6:00a PDT Arrival in Portland, only 7 hours late. Met by Bossy parents with food and a pillow. Have never been more grateful to see a banana in my life.

7:30a PDT Asleep in my bed. All is right with the world.

All I'm saying is, the next time I spend 11 hours on a plane, I better end up in Europe.

3 comments:

  1. All I'm saying is, the next time I spend 11 hours on a plane, I better end up in Europe.

    Amen, sister!

    Have a great time, despite the auspicious start. Airlines are annoying these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH!!! That does NOT sound like a fun 24 hours. And I know how it feels to beg those flight attendants for food. I was on Southwest earlier this year from LA to NY and we had to stop in 2 cities in between, so no time for a 'real meal'. I got ONE thing of handy-snacks and a tiny pretzel bag with 5 crushed up pretzels inside. Not Fun after 8 hours. Feeling for ya even though I love to travel as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home; it was all worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...