In which I live to procrastinate another day

Readers, I'm going to let you in on a shameful/disgusting secret: I have not been to the dentist in (mumble mumble) years, since way back when I could still be claimed as a dependent on my parents' insurance. No checkups, no teeth cleaning, no nothing since then. I know: ewwwwwwwww.

And the irony of that is, I've been paying for dental insurance this WHOLE time, and I still didn't go. I don't have a pathological fear of the dentist or anything, though I definitely wouldn't say I enjoy it particularly, except for that one time when they gave me the really good drugs. It's just one of those things that slipped through the cracks once I became an adult and wasn't being regularly reminded by my mother, like writing thank you notes and eating vegetables.

So today was the big day, the day I finally bit the bullet and worked up the courage to walk into a dentist's office, sit in that chair, hang my head in shame, and let a stranger put his hands in my mouth.

I had pictured this moment many times, in which the dentist snapped his latex gloves menacingly and threw around phrases like "root canal" and "gum disease," all while shaking his head in disgust.

What he actually said was: "Well, it's not as bad as it could be. No cavities, so you'll just need a good cleaning."

Umm...

I'm not sure what message the Universe is sending me here, but I'm pretty sure it's not FLOSS REGULARLY AND HAVE YOUR TEETH PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED TWICE A YEAR.

I guess the wake up call will have to wait for another day.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry. The universe will catch up eventually. Meanwhile, I don't seem to recall the thank you notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of in the same boat as you; though I haven't made my appointment yet. I'm going to and hope he says the same things to me.

    Except I don't have dental insurance... so it'll cost me a pretty penny either way. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the sign at the dentist says: Ignore your teeth and they'll go away... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...