Big day

We woke this morning to the news of Bin Laden's death, learned through dozens of Facebook updates rather than in real time. We turned on the news and heard sound bites of the president's speech, and saw clips of our fellow Americans rejoicing in the streets. My first reaction was "Ick." I haven't become much more articulate since then.

Thank goodness for others who have.


Best article of the day: David Sirota at Salon.com
"This is bin Laden’s lamentable victory: He has changed America’s psyche from one that saw violence as a regrettable-if-sometimes-necessary act into one that finds orgasmic euphoria in news of bloodshed."


Best quote of the day: Martin Luther King, Jr. some 44 years ago
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

UPDATE: So, it turns out the internet done me wrong and the above quote was partially mis-attributed. I of course meant Dr. King no disrespect, and this quote, mish-mash that it is, still elegantly encompasses my feelings on the situation.

4 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read and re-read all of MLK's speeches and cannot find that quote ANYWHERE! Here is the speech I believe you are referring to but your quote is not in there: http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/where_do_we_go_from_here_delivered_at_the_11th_annual_sclc_convention/

    Here's an article on how that quote being made up: http://m.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/out-of-osamas-death-a-fake-quotation-is-born/238220/

    I agree with what the quote says, but re-writing HISTORY? Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I saw that this morning (here's the updated post about how it happened: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/).

    The first sentence of the quote isn't MLK's, but the rest is. Somehow I don't think he'd mind being misquoted this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure everything in the Gospels isn't word for word what Jesus said either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...