Bossy Book Club

I've been reading up a storm lately, mostly in the bath. As exciting as life is these days, sometimes it's nice to dive into the lives of characters who aren't planning a wedding or a transcontinental move (oops, spoiler alert… more on that soon, I promise). Here are my recent faves.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
I love World War II stories, but most of what I've read and seen has dealt exclusively with the European War. This is a biography of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who joined the Air Force in 1941 and ended up a POW in Japan. This was a recommendation from a friend, and I'm so glad I listened. Zamperini's life story is epic and inspirational, and this book was impossible to put down.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
Larson wrote one of my favorite books of all time, The Devil in the White City, so I bought his new book (another World War II-related read) as soon as it came out. He has a talent for making non-fiction as compelling and readable as any novel. This one is a portrait of Berlin in the years leading up to the war, through the eyes of the bookish American ambassador (as well as his slutty daughter, who was, um, "special friends" with half the upper-level Nazis). I loved it.

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
I picked this one up because it's on this list, which I'm reading for #76 on the Bossy List. This book reads like a classic, which I guess it is, although I have to admit I had never previously heard of either the book or its author. It's a small story, but ambitious in its own way. I was fascinated by the quirky philosopher of a narrator, and it felt like the kind of book I might return to every few years. I'm glad I discovered it as an adult instead of being assigned to read it in school.


I'm stocking my Kindle for the first week of the honeymoon, which we are planning to spend in unending laziness. What should I make sure not to miss?

6 comments:

  1. Don't miss The Crying Tree by Naseem Rakha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my own honeymoon, I'm going to take Stephen Ambrose's highly recommended Undaunted Courage about Lewis and Clark for the "project", and PG Wodehouse when I simply want to experience story after story of literary delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wodehouse! Brilliant! I've just bought the (99 cent) Jeeves Collection for the Kindle. It's been a while—what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've never read Tana French, you need to start with In the Woods (but be prepared not to move once you open it). Perfect for a literary honeymoon is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and last but not least, Pride and Prejudice... just because.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been eyeing the new Larson book. I think I need to check it out!

    I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy. Sheesh, talk about addictive. Do NOT start them if there's anything else you need to accomplish!

    Last summer about this time, I started Cutting for Stone. A really wonderful and well-written book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the Larson. The Hillenbrand is on my list (her 'Seabiscuit' remains one of the best books I've ever read). I just finished 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, after staying up until 2 AM one morning to finish it. And I always recommend 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks', by Rebecca Skloot. And also 'The Lemon Tree' by Sandy Tolan. That's it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...