Opera nerd alert



In 2011 I started tracking every performance I saw. I loved being able to look back at the year through that lens, so I continued keeping track. Here are the 2012 numbers:

17 movies
2 vocal competitions
7 recitals and concerts
8 Broadway plays and musicals
1 Off-Broadway play
1 cabaret
1 circus
34 operas (at 11 different companies)

GAH! THIRTY-FOUR OPERAS! And I thought 17 was a lot last year. Obviously, our summer o' opera made a big difference. It was a great year for seeing things—was it for you?


My favorites of 2013 were, in chronological order:

March 10, 2012: Venus in Fur on Broadway with the incomparable Nina Arianda

March 13, 2012: Pina 3D at Lincoln Center Film

June 29, 2012: Don Carlo at the Wiener Staatsoper with the best cast ever

July 7, 2013: the premiere of Written on Skin in Aix-en-Provence

July 10–13, 2012: my first Ring cycle in Munich

August 8, 2012: One Man, Two Guv'nors on Broadway, where I almost fell out of my seat laughing

November 18, 2012: Joyce DiDonato's Drama Queens recital at Carnegie Hall


What did you see that moved you last year? Any performances you're particularly looking forward to in 2013?


1 comment:

  1. Seen:
    Feb 9 Butterfly at Portland Opera
    Mar 29 Galileo at Portland Opera
    Apr 20 Streetcar at Pentacle Theatre

    Looking forward to:
    Jan 21 La bohème at Chicago Lyric

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...