Party strawberries

Yesterday I went to a great housewarming party thrown by My Gay Husband and My Gay Husband's Boyfriend. They recently moved into a place in Midtown, right in the middle of everything. They're on the 12th floor with lots of windows, so their views are gorgeous (including directly into the windows of the Intercontinental Hotel—apparently lots of hotel guests don't close their curtains, whoops!). It was one of those fun parties that really bring people together (MGH is like that, too).

There was tons of good food on hand, but everyone was buzzing about one particular snack: cheesecake-stuffed strawberries. Once one person tried them, everyone was trying them, and the hosts had to bring out more platters of them. Obviously when I got home I googled how to make them, and it sounds really easy. I will definitely be making them for the next party we throw.

Photo via Pinterest


You take strawberries, cut off the top, and dig out a little hole in the center. To make the filling, you mix cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla to taste (I think I might try using maple syrup instead) and fill the strawberries with a piping bag (or Ziploc bag with a corner cut off in a pinch). As a final (crucial!) step, you dip the tops in graham cracker crumbs. Et voilà! Impress your friends with your fanciness. I've seen it work.

What are your go-to party snacks? Another favorite of mine is caprese on sticks: thread cocktail tomatoes (in fun heirloom colors if you've got 'em), little balls of fresh mozzarella, and a leaf of basil onto sticks. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic, salt, and pepper and put them in the fridge to marinate a bit until you're ready to serve them. Delicious in the summer! I also always have a platter of sliced English cucumbers and sliced salami (thanks to a tip from the Barefoot Contessa)—the perfect combo.

11 comments:

  1. Go to party snacks? Roast Beef & Colored Pepper Roll-ups, Buffalo Chicken Cream Cheese Dip, French Onion Dip, Brie & Peach Salsa Bruschetta on French Bread... hmmm I must have more but those are the big hits that I can think of!

    Those strawberries look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those all sound delicious! Brie & Peach Salsa Bruschetta…yummmm.

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you ever want recipes... :)

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to figure out what relation your Gay Husband's Boyfriend is to me. Modern life is so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I'm pretty sure he's your son-in-law-in-law. Or something like that.

      Delete
  3. Your MGH's Bf has a confession to make...

    Instead of mixing the ingredients for the filling, he used Pillsbury Cream Cheese Frosting. I did go so far as to buy the ingredients, but then I thought I should support the economy buy spending more money at the store. Glad you liked them. :) I got the idea from a college friend's Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR SHAME! No, honestly, they were so good—happy to hear they were even easier to make than I thought! Dangerous...

      Delete
  4. Those look good. I saw some strawberries like these on Pinterest but filled with chocolate in the center. Kind of a reverse chocolate dipped strawberry. I'm definitely going to give those a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, those sound like they would be incredible. Must try.

      Delete
  5. Just so you know these have already been eaten in your home! I brought them to a party the New Oregonian had there in June...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What!! I should have known you would have already discovered them. You always have the best party snacks! And it's making me very happy that there were parties going on Chez Muller-Melear even when we weren't there. :)

      Delete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...