Lucky me

Late in the summer of 1991, Hurricane Bob hit my hometown of Westerly, Rhode Island. I don't remember a lot about it. What I remember is watching Papa Bossy tape up the windows and gather water and flashlights, having a slumber party in the living room with my parents while the wind rattled the windows, and climbing around on a giant fallen tree limb the next day.

Hurricane Ike wasn't all that different. We bought water, batteries, and peanut butter, and moved everything away from the windows. We had a slumber party at BritBossMan's house, trying to sleep through the massive wind gusts and thunder claps. We surveyed the damage this afternoon after everything had died down. We also had several exciting incidents: we cut down 2 small trees so they didn't fall on the house (and when I say we I mean that I held the flashlight), and a few hours later we watched as BBM Swiffered the roof to stop a leak (seriously).

My memories of Ike will be quite different, though (and this has all to do with being 26 and not 9). This time, I actually understood what was at stake, what the potential damage could be. It wasn't just a grand adventure (although it was that); I was scared. Today as we drove past dozens of downed trees (some of which had fallen on houses), piles of debris, pulverized fences, downed power lines, and dangling street lights (pictures to come, I promise), I got more and more worried about what we would find when we got back to CameraMan's apartment and my car.

Turns out, we had power. And no damage. This in a small apartment complex where many apartments have no power, extensive water damage, and in some cases, collapsed roofs. I'm feeling incredibly lucky.

Lucky to have people in my life willing to take me in without a second thought, and all the many friends and family members who have checked in via phone, text message, and email.

Lucky to have a cat who can endure anything. In about 24 hours, the Bossy Cat moved 3 times, and despite having to spend most of that time apart from me (Mrs. BBM is allergic), she is now happily curled up on the couch. It's quite possible she's forgotten it even happend.

Lucky to have someone to clutch in the middle of the night when the sounds from outside were too scary. I was so happy to have CameraMan by my side.

Lucky for power generators. I spent my morning watching hurricane coverage on TV. And being served waffles for breakfast. Heaven.

Lucky to have chosen to "hunker down" with stage managers and techies. Did I mention the sawing down of trees and magical Swiffer use? Amazing.

Lucky to be in the 5% of Houstonians with power. How did that happen?

Lucky that BBM sent us home with 2 steaks. Wrapped in bacon. Add mac & cheese and a bottle of Malbec, and you've got a better dinner than we usually eat when there isn't a hurricane.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. I am one lucky girl.

6 comments:

  1. Glad things went well for you, LittleMsHardcore, BritBossMan & family and CameraMan.

    And glad your car and apartment are okay...

    I'm still waiting to hear about mine... and whether I might get to come back to Houston before my next contract starts on the 24th.

    Any news on work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so relieved you are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky indeed! I guess Ike liked your “I Like Ike” button! You didn’t list the hurricane that hit on the closing night of Music Man. And of course Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it home safely!! :)I am happy that everything is safe and sound and that you have power to practice your new untapped Wii talents before work begins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHEW! Girl! I was thinking about you like crazy, so I'm glad you're alright. :) I guess you could add "survive a hurricane" to your to-do list and just cross it right off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl, glad to hear things are okay for you all. My thoughts were with you from across the pond!! Thankfully, BBC World News covered everything, so I could keep tabs:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment. Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...